- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 7-ounce can or two 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, cut in half, divided
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe black olives, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat two 8-inch-square baking dishes with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken in a large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Dice when cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 7 to 9 minutes.
4. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder; stir for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Add broth and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes, sour cream, chiles, salt and the chicken.
5. To assemble: Spread 1 cup filling in each prepared baking dish. Layer on 4 tortilla halves and top with 1 cup filling. Repeat 2 more layers of tortillas and filling, ending with the rest of the filling. Sprinkle cheese and olives on top.
6. To serve: Bake until hot and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. To freeze: Let unbaked casserole(s) cool to room temperature. Tightly wrap with heavy-duty foil (or freezer paper) and freeze. (To prevent foil from sticking to the cheese, coat with cooking spray first.)